The 42nd Annual Conference of the Society of Ethnobiology in Vancouver, B.C., May 8–11, 2019
There are varied accommodation options near the conference venue on the University of British Columbia campus. While you will be able to find air bnb’s off campus, and of course many hotels downtown, getting to campus would require a bus ride that would take any where from 10 - 40 minutes.
**all accomodation prices below are in Canadian dollars**
Reserved room blocks
1. The Carey Center https://live.carey-edu.ca/
There will be $10 additional fee per night for an additional person over and above the Occupancy (Occ) and $10/day for an extra mattress. Note that Queen rooms can fit 3 people, but it will be tight.
Tax is 8%, Breakfast $9.95, Lunch $12.95, and dinner $16.95-$20.25 (depending on meal chosen).
***Available for booking on-line begining Sept 2018.
Code = 8600
|Room||# of rooms||Occ.||Max Occ. ($10@)||Price(no tax)|
|Queen Room with TV, tub||10||2||3||125|
|Queen Room no TV, tub||16||2||3||119|
|Queen Room no TV, shower||10||2||3||119|
|Single Room with TV, tub||1||1||2||117|
|Single Room no TV, tub||2||1||2||112|
|Single Room no TV, shower||2||1||2||112|
|1 standard bedroom suite with tub||2||2||4||189|
|1 spacious bedroom suite with shower||2||2||4||189|
|2 Bedroom 2 bath||1||3||5||209|
|2 Bedroom 1 bath||1||3||5||199|
2. Green College https://www.greencollege.ubc.ca/guest-accommodations
To reserve a room, call 604-822-6067, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or use this form:
https://greencollege.ubc.ca/guest-house-accommodation-request-form . When you book, mention that you are part of the Society of Ethnobiology conference.
- Standard double $116- 142/night (Sun - Thurs), $90/night (Fri, Sat)
- Premium Queen $126-152/night (Sun - Thurs), $100/night (Fri, Sat)
- Su - Th includes dinner; M-F includes breakfast
3. St. John’s College http://stjohns.ubc.ca/home/guest-and-meeting-room/guest-accommodation/
- Double $128/night (Sun - Thurs), $109/night (Fri, Sat)
- Queen $139/night (Sun - Thurs), $120/night (Fri, Sat)
- Su - Th includes breakfast and dinner
4. Ponderosa Residence - Premium Suites ($179/night)
Queen bed, private washroom, sitting area with telephone, flat-panel TV and WIFI, fully-equipped kitchen with stainless steel appliances and complimentary coffee. Maximum 2 guests per suite. 10 suites available.
To book a suite, either
1. book online via UBC’s secure reservation web page https://reserve.ubcconferences.com/GROUP/availability.asp?hotelCode=UBC&sdl=Check+In&startDate=05%2F08%2F2019&edl=Check+Out&endDate=05%2F12%2F2019&adults=1&children=&rooms=1&requesttype=invBlockCode&code=G190508A
2. call the UBC Reservations Office at (604) 822-1000, Ext. 3, or toll free at 1-888-822-1030. Tell them you are part of the Society of Ethnobiology Annual meeting 2019.
** Cut off date for registering is 8 April. After that, the Society will be charged for the remaining rooms.
Other on-campus options:
- Vanier Single Room (1 single bed for one person) = $49/59 per night plus tax ;
- Vanier Twin Room (2 single beds for 2 people) = $98 - 118 Cdn plus tax
- Rooms are allocated according to gender with a common shared bathroom (shared sinks baths, showers, and toilets)
- ~18 singles + ~2 twins per floor
- ~$239.00/night + tax (but prices go up as they book up!); 20 available
- Quads: shared apts with 4 private rooms and 1 full 1 half bath; $72/night per person (max 30 Quads available)
- Studio Suites: 1 Twin bed occupant 1 bath, small kitchen = ~$123/night (only a few available)
- 1 bedroom for couple or single (1 Queen bed) = ~$133/night (only a few available)
- **These will go quickly since there’s only max 10 rooms available for non Triumf guests
- Queens, Twins, Delux Queens, Kitchenettes ~$110 - $135/night
1. Jericho Beach Hostel http://hihostels.ca/en/ (604) 224-3208 — very close to UBC — in a beautiful beach setting
- Dorm: $33/person/ night Pre-Tax (can hold up to 14 people)
- Private: $70/person/ night Pre-Tax
For individual bookings (less than 10 people) tel: 1.866.762.4122 or email: email@example.com
2. There are some Air BnB's close to UBC. There are also lots of hotel options further away in downtown Vancouver. Both of these options would require a bus ride to the conference venue.