Barbara Lawrence Award for Best Student Presentation (oral or poster) and Paper
The Barbara Lawrence Award celebrates the life and accomplishments of Barbara Lawrence by recognizing and rewarding the scholarly efforts of young ethnobiologists. The award was initiated in 1987 by Dr. Elizabeth Wing and others and is presented for the best paper and presentation (in either oral or poster form) by a student at each annual conference. The prize carries a monetary award, made possible by donations from family, friends, and colleagues of Barbara Lawrence, and the F.A.O. Schwarz Family Foundation.
- A written research paper
- maximum 8 pages double-spaced of text, excluding abstract, figures, references cited, and acknowlegments
- follow the Journal of Ethnobiology formatting
- Presentation of the research at the annual conference either as an oral presentation or as a poster
- the recipient of the award will be announced at the General Meeting and also at the banquet
- The award is open to any member who is currently a student, or has held a PhD degree for less than one year
- Applicant must be a current member of the Society of Ethnobiology
- Applicants cannot be the primary author on more than one paper that is submitted
- Any subject in ethnobiology is eligible
- Co-authored papers are acceptable for submission only if
- the student is first author and
- the student has taken the lead in most of the research and paper-writing
- the student presents the oral or poster presentation at the annual conference, and
- a Statement of Authorship is submitted (along with the application) briefly explaining the role of each author in the research project
- multiple student co-authors may share the award if they likewise share in authoring and presenting the research
- in the case of multiple student co-authors, award money must be shared equally among the student authors
How to Apply
- Log in to the website then click on the link below to access the application form (you must be a current SoE member to access the form). Barbara Lawrence Award Application Form ». You must submit your abstract and proof of student status by February 28.
- You will receive an email confirmation when your application has been successfully submitted (check your spam folder if you do not see it in your inbox). The email will contain a link to your submission. PLEASE SAVE THIS EMAIL AND THE LINK so you may return to your submission to add the other required materials:
- Research paper
- Statement of Authorship (if more than one author is listed).
- To upload your research paper, PPT/Poster, and Statement of Authorship, log in to the website and navigate to your submission (using the link provided in your confirmation email). Click the “Edit” tab and upload your files in the fields provided. Click "Submit". Your files must be received by May 19, 2018.
- Please contact the Awards Coordinator at email@example.com if you have questions about the award or application requirements. For technical assistance with the website and/or application form contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Past recipients of the Barabara Lawrence Award are listed here.